Utilizing all of your outdoor areas can offer many benefits in expanding usable space beyond your four walls. To create a unique and useful space, you need to make the area practical and allow enough room to move around with ease. The infographic below will show you how to create a fabulous outdoor living space.
[Click image for full size version]
Tips For Decorating an Outdoor Living Space
- Have plenty of comfortable seating options. Use cushions and pillows to add softness and color.
- Display ample amounts of lighting through candles, lamps, overhead and solar lighting.
- Add small elements throughout the outdoor living space that will add visual appeal. This can include curtains, plants and water fountains.
- Add a pop of color through an awning or exterior sunscreens.
- Include elements such as stone or brick as flooring or wall dividers between the outdoor living space and yard.
- Add rugs (made of durable fabric) to add a textured look.
- Bring your interior design style outdoors by adding similar design elements outside.
- Add colorful pots and candles for a whimsical look.
- Use metal letters on the wall for an eclectic feel.
- Display cool tones for a beachy or natural atmosphere.
How To Create an Outdoor Living Space Layout
- Check local building codes so your design will be in proper condition.
- Use whatever space your home has for an outdoor living space, including patios, rooftops, side yards, and courtyards.
- Make a list of all the features you want to include so you can ensure enough space is available.
- Just like interior rooms, outside living spaces should have a focal point that the layout and design is based around.
- Think about the flow when creating the layout design. You should include plenty of seating and storage, but the space should not feel cluttered.
- Instead of having straight pathways, have pathways that take a slight curve to add visual appeal and encourage exploration of the space.
- Create a privacy screen by adding plants, small trees, or lattices to an area.
- Consider adding a sun shade sail awning to help define an outdoor living space area.
- Leave enough seating under the overhead covering so everyone can comfortably enjoy the area.
Ways To Make an Outdoor Living Space Functional
- Keep it near your house for ease of convenience.
- Design the room so it can used year-round.
- Add shade so you will be able to enjoy the space despite the weather. Retractable awnings are great for this.
- Incorporate a source of heat, such as a fireplace, fire pit or heating lamp, so the living space can be used in cooler weather.
- Include cooling methods such as fans so you can enjoy the outdoor living space during warmer weather.
- Feature pieces that serve double functions. For example, have benches for seating open up for storage or use ottomans for serving and seating.
- Add a covering, such as an Alumawood patio cover, to a section so outdoor living space can be used despite weather.